Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Watch out world!

But despite this shout, and despite the honest emotion behind it and even despite the exclamation point, the world paid no attention. After all, what was one man? A mouse to an elephant? No, only a fool would think of himself as a rodent compared to the size of the world...even if he were really, really fat. I don't expect the world to listen, or for my voice ever to be noticed among all the breathing and shuffling and that is okay because that is not why I write. I do not write so others may hear me and think of me one way or another with the hope of feeling more real or more alive. I write to hear myself and discover the person I am and the kind of person I hope to be in the future. And if people happen upon this inner dialogue, my only hope is that they perhaps guffaw or shrug or shiver or gasp or yawn or yell or sigh or anything really. I will be happy with anything. Any little scrap that proves that they are one living thing bumping into the life of another in this one moment out of all eternity.

That's not too much to ask, right?

No comments: